Onions for Weight Loss
Onion is an essential ingredient in almost every dish. But did you know it can also be part of your weight loss diet? You probably want to read that line again to be sure of what you read. Just keep reading to learn how onions can reduce your belly fat. After reading, you will agree that the adage “an apple a day’ also refers to onions. Then, you’ll know you have to start considering onions for weight loss.
What do Onions do for your body?
Onions are rich in fiber, nutrients, and antioxidants, commonly called quercetin. And all these contribute to weight loss by constituting a low-calorie flavoring. But that is not all onions does in your body. Here are some benefits of onions;
- The polyphenols in onions contribute to weight loss by keeping your cardiovascular system in shape. It also maintains low resistance to insulin.
- Onions are rich in flavonoids, which helps to combat inflammation ad insulin resistance. With your insulin resistance low, it becomes easier to exercise regularly and keep the shape.
- Diallyl Disulfide in onions reduces cholesterol levels. It also helps in the reduction of cholesterol levels to simulate your intestines and process weight.
- The sulfides in onions help you keep your connective tissues together in good order. And that means less pain for you while you are exercising.
- It has various elements that nourish the circulatory system like copper, manganese, potassium, and folate.
- Onion is also rich in soluble fiber, which reduces the flow of nutrients into the bloodstream. When this happens, you gain a constant supply of energy.
- Our organs function efficiently, and our cells burn calories faster when we have a cleaner body. The antibacterial in onions cleans the body and gets rid of pathogens like salmonella. It also helps clear up compounds that can cause asthma.
- We can’t exhaust all the good benefits of onions to your body. But, we can now think of onions for weight loss when planning a diet. It helps calories burn faster and helps you exercise easily. So, let go down to the recipes.
Onion Recipes for Weight loss
1. Onion Juice
Many of us are used to frying our onions and have no idea that we are killing its nutrient this way. Frying destroys the nutrients, but drinking its juice is the best way to add vegetables to your diet. Follow this recipe to get the best onion juice for weight loss.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 bulb of fresh white onion
- 6 cups of water
- Peel the onion skin, wash and slice it properly
- Then, put the onion in a saucepan and add a cup of water to boil
- Let it boil for 7-10 minutes,
- Transfer the onion into the mixer after boiling, mix it well and drink it.
2. Onion Soup
Soup fills you up with nutrients, and this has made the soup a relevant part of the weight loss diet. Have you tried this tasty onion soup? You can have it as lunch or dinner. Whichever time you choose, this delicious onion soup will still serve its weight loss role.,
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4-5 large onions
- 1 cup of tomato
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage
- 3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ inch of ginger root
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro to garnish
- Prepare all your ingredients first. Peel and chop your onions, chop the tomato, shred the cabbage, mince the garlic and grate your ginger root.
- After all the ingredients, add a teaspoon of olive oil to the soup pot.
- Then, add your ginger and garlic stir it for 2 minutes.
- Then add your veggies and onions, but stir for 30 seconds. Remember, we are not frying. We want to maintain the nutrient.
- Next, pour your vegetable or chicken stock. Then, pour in your black pepper and salt. Stir and cover the soup to cook for 10-15 minutes.
- The soup is ready. Just pour it into a soup bowl and garnish with cilantro.
3. Pomegranate Onion
This is a recipe for non-vegans and also for weight loss. If you are thinking of another way to prepare onions for weight loss, this is a salad option for you. We all know that most salads are easy to make, and this is no different.
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Serves – 6
- 4 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses
- 4 tablespoons of pomegranate juice
- 4 red onions
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- First, get all ingredients ready. Make sure your red onions are peeled and quartered, your parley should be chopped. And your black pepper should be grounded.
- Toss your onions in the olive oil and leave it in the skewer.
- Mix your pomegranate molasses, pomegranate juice, black pepper, salt, and tahini. Add salt according to your taste, and the black pepper also depends on how hot you want it.
- Take the onions out of the skewer and drizzle in the pomegranate molasses mixture.
- Sprinkle your parsley all over to garnish and dig in.
4. Caramelized Onions and Red Chard
This salad recipe is delicious and will be your everyday choice. You will love to set this at your dinner table. Follow this recipe.
Preparation Time- 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves – 4 minutes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- ¼ cup of Kalamata olives
- A bunch of Swiss chard
- ½ teaspoon of coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Chop the onion, rinse and chop your chard as well and set aside. Also, juice your lemon and make sure all the ingredients are ready.
- Cook your onion in the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet under medium heat.
- Then, stir in the brown sugar and cook for some minutes.
- Next, stir in the chard when you see that onion is brown and tender. Cook the chard until it’s slightly wilted, then add capers and salt.
- Continue cooking until the chard is completely wilted. Three minutes is enough for the chard to be wilted.
- Then, sprinkle in your grounded pepper and pour the lemon juice on top.
5. Baked Onion, Sweet Potatoes, Sausage, and Bell Peppers
Cook your meal the right way, with the best ingredient, and consume the right portion if you want to lose weight. Baking onions for weight loss is not just good for you but also for a delicacy. Try this.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- ½ cup of sweet potatoes wedges
- 1 cup of onion
- ½ cup of sausage
- ½ cup of bell pepper
- ½ cup of chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white wine
- ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Since you will be baking now, your first step is to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While it’s preheating, prepare your ingredients. Slice your sausage and onion, then move to step two.
- Pour two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and save the rest for later. Cook the sausage in the oil until it turns brown.
- Then, add all your veggies to a baking dish, including the onion. Drizzle in the remaining olive oil.
- Next, add chicken stock to the veggies and season all with salt, pepper, and dried rosemary.
- Finally, add your sausage and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
6. Caramelized-Onion Bruschetta
This can make a good appetizer for you at any time of the day. Let’s go through the recipe.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 3 large onions
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of raspberry /balsamic vinegar
- 1 loaf of baguette bread (cut into slices of 1/2 inches)
- ½ cup of butter/margarine
- 8 ounces of soft cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped of fresh parsley.
- Melt your butter on medium-high heat until it sizzles. Then, add your onions, cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes until it softens. Make sure you are frequently stirring while it’s cooking.
- Then, add sugar and vinegar. Continue cooking and stirring for 9 to 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and light brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil and place bread slices on cookie sheets. Let it boil for a minute or two until the bread is lightly brown. Turn the other side of the bread up to broil and turn lightly brown too. While broiling makes sure, the bread is 4 inches far from the heat for the best outcome.
- Spread creamy cheese on each bread slice, two teaspoons each will do, and top with onion mixture.
- Lastly, sprinkle all with parsley.
Make onion juice daily and take two ounces, replace a meal with onion soup, and try other recipes listed above. Onion helps you burn calories and loosen up your tissues to make exercises more comfortable. You should make sure this part of your meal every day. Frying onions destroys the nutrient, but cooking, baking, and juicing it is advisable for weight loss.