Creamed spinach recipes are tasty and easy to prepare. Its creaminess makes it more relaxing than every other regular spinach recipes. There are different types of spinach-like savoy spinach, which has dark green leaves and are heavily wrinkled. There is also the semi-savoy spinach, which is less wrinkly and good to use in cooking. Then, the flat-leaf spinach works well with salad and can be eaten raw. It has a smooth texture and is the most popular. Irrespective of the type of spinach, it contains flavonoids, carotenoids, and antioxidants. One of the best ways to prepare spinach without losing its antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals is by steaming in boiling water and rinsing with cold water before mixing. Ensure that you reduce the boiling time and water isn’t too much in spinach. This steaming process is common in the following recipes.
Creamed Spinach Recipes
1. Creamed Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- 14 ounces of canned artichoke hearts
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- ¼ cup of Neufchatel cheese
- ½ teaspoon of kosher or sea salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper or cayenne pepper
- Prepare the ingredients. Make sure the spinach is chopped and loosely packed, artichoke is also drained and choked, and cheese is grated.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Leave it to cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Next, add the spinach and cook again for another 2 minutes until it is wilted. Then, set aside.
- Then, pour your garlic into the skillet and wait 30 seconds for it to turn golden. Stir the spinach back into the skillet. And, add the artichoke, yogurt, and Neufchatel. Continue stirring for 3 minutes until it is melted together.
- Finally, ass your salt, pepper paprika, and parmesan cheese and stir for 2 minutes again.
Fats 9g, Carbohydrates 7g, Protein 7g Calories 101kcal
2. Creamed Spinach with Garlic and Basil
This creamy spinach recipe is luxurious and can be good for dinner. It goes well with tomato salad as a side dish.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 300g of spinach
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of fresh cream
- Basil leaves (roughly chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, cook your spinach in boiling water until it is tender. After a minute or two, drain and rinse in cold water to prevent it from cooking further.
- Leave the leaves to completely dry, then chop finely.
- Next, heat your olive oil in a large frying pan, add garlic and spinach and stir well.
- When it is hot, add cream and cook till it bubbles. Then, add in basil, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Stir the mixture well, add lemon juice and serve.
Fat 2g; Carbohydrate 9g; protein 9.7g; calories 88 kcal
3. Creamy Parmesan Spinach Shrimp
This spinach recipe is a good source of protein-based on the addition of shrimp. It is also well flavored with garlic and parmesan.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 ¼ ibs of large shrimp
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of chicken broth
- ¾ cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 5 oz of baby spinach
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- First of all, sprinkle your shrimp with basil. Then add little salt and pepper, toss to combine.
- Secondly, melt a tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat in a non-stick pan
- Now, add your shrimp and cook for two minutes until its bottom turns pink, then turn them over and cook again.
- Then transfer shrimp into a bowl, and melt remaining butter. Add garlic into the pan and sauté for about 30 seconds, then add in chicken broth.
- Next, add spinach, cook, and stir for about a minute, then rinse.
- After rinsing, stir in spinach into the cornstarch mixture. Stir continuously for 2 minutes or until it thickens
- Lastly, add parmesan cheese, and cook till it melts; add in salt to taste. When it is done, remove from heat and serve
Fat 21g; Carbohydrate 4g; protein 33g; calories 356 kcal.
4. Creamed Spinach with White Sauce
This spinach recipe is made with white sauce, milk, flour, butter, frozen or freshly washed spinach.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 24 ounces of spinach
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- First, place a large pan over medium-high heat and add in water and spinach.
- After boiling, drain well and squeeze out excess water.
- Then, melt your butter over low heat in a saucepan. Start pouring flour gently while stirring and cooking. Stir until it becomes smooth.
- Now, gradually add milk and stir, then add spinach and stir again. (add more milk if it becomes too thick) cook and stir constantly.
- After cooking, add salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Serve.
Fat 14g; Carbohydrate 21g; protein 6g; calories 229 kcal.
5. Creamed Spinach with Hazelnuts
Tasting the greens is overwhelming, especially with the creamy sauce and hazelnuts.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1hr 15 minutes
- 1 ounce of flour
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 35 ounces of fresh spinach
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 cups of unsalted chicken stock
- 3 cups of sliced yellow onions
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 ounces of light garlic and herb cheese
- ½ cup of toasted hazelnuts
- ¼ cup half and half
- First of all, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. then, coat your 8-inch baking dish lightly with a cooking spray.
- Secondly, coat oven with cooking spray and heat up; add your spinach in the pan (3 batches). At the same time, cooking each batch, stirring occasionally. When all spinach has been cooked, drain it in a colander.
- Next, heat oil in your oven, then add onion, cook, and stir for 9 minutes. When onion becomes translucent, sprinkle flour, pepper, and salt. Stir in stock and half-and-half.
- Boil mixture, cook, constantly stirring for about 5 minutes. When the mixture thickens, add cheese and nutmeg. Stir until it is smooth, and remove the heat.
- Wait for spinach to cool, then place it in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Then add spinach to cheese mixture and stir well.
- Transfer spinach mixture into your already prepared baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle hazelnuts and bake for 5 minutes more. When it is ready, remove from the oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Fat 10g; Carbohydrate 12g; protein 7g; calories 159 kcal.
Why spinach is good for you
Spinach helps with several health conditions.
• Healthy bones
It gives you healthy skin and hair, strong bones. Spinach contains magnesium and vitamin k, which may reduce the risk of having fractured bones. Taking 4 cups of baby spinach is about five times the daily recommendation of vitamin k intake.
• Reduces the risk of heart disease
Spinach is a good source of potassium, which improves heart health. It contains nitrate, which keeps your blood pressure under control and reduces the possibilities of heart disease and stroke.
• Improves eye health
Carotenoids in spinach give it that green color keeps the eye health, and reduces the risk of having cataracts and other age-related macular degeneration.
• Reduces risk of diabetics
improves blood glucose control in diabetics. Spinach has alpha-lipoic acid, which lowers blood sugar level, and boosts insulin. It is also an excellent source of zinc, phosphorus, vitamin B, fiber. Spinach is a good source of iron.
• Builds the immune system
Spinach helps your body fight infections due to lutein, beta carotene, zeaxanthin, and chlorophyll.
Creamed spinach recipes can be eaten at any time of the day because it contains low calories. It is easy to prepare, does not have fat and sugar content. It is ideal for light food and makes a great dinner because it would help you sleep. Spinach could be added to regular fish or meat dishes also. Overall creamed spinach recipes are healthy, tasty, and unique.